from the Associated Press:
Pa. hikers find bald eagle sickened with lead poisoning
Published: Nov 20, 2006 12:30 AM EST
STROUDSBURG, Pa. (AP) - Two hikers found an injured bald eagle in a creek and wildlife officials later determined it was suffering from lead poisoning.
The hikers had been posting "No Trespassing" signs when they found the eagle in Cherry Creek and notified officials at the Pocono Wildlife Rehabilitation Center.
Nancie Schoeneberger and another volunteer returned to the creek and captured the eagle, which had no obvious wounds but was acting oddly, she said.
"It made a feeble attempt to spread its wings and get away from us when we approached it," she said.
Veterinarians examined the bird and found traces of lead in its stomach and intestines.
The eagle, which is believed to be between 3 and 5 years old, may respond to treatment, Schoeneberger said.
©2006 The Associated Press