Sunday, May 13, 2007

Home again, home again, jiggedy jig

Watch this space--for yummy pears!


After my amazing two days birding in the PA oil region, I’m home. It’s a strikingly sunny day, with a cool breeze making the leaves dance and the grass sway in waves. So much happened while I was away, it seems. The pear, tamarack, and lilac came into full feather:



The lawn turned from a yellow-spotted dandelion field to a white-puff-filled seed factory:


The garden seeds awoke and found the sun:
Baby spinach:
Tiny cilantro:
Sunflowers for the birds:
Green leaf lettuce:

Green beans:
The morning glories that will camouflage the fence around the veggie garden:

But many things remain the same. I was awakened by the noise of the raptors -- the cats -- jumping to the window to watch the birds, chasing each other up and down the stairs, and begging for their breakfast at 6:30a.m. By the oh-ka-LEEEEE and the crazy sora’s call on the marsh. By Mr. Cardinal, demanding I fill the feeders. By the downy, complaining about how the grackles and red-wing blackbirds ate all his suet. By Niblet running and jumping around, bumping and chinning my ankles as I scoop his pellets and fill his hay manger for breakfast.

Most important of all, though, Kat is beside me, asking for her morning coffee and snuggle. I’m truly home again.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Ahhhh. Home, sweet home.

dguzman said...

Yes indeed. And I got my tripod finally, so you can bet I'm going to get back to digiscoping with a vengeance!

KGMom said...

Isn't it great to be missed while you are gone.
I did read about your birding expedition on Julie Z's site--good for you--yelling BLOG.