Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Still alive and kicking

It seems like weeks since I posted on my blog, but the absence wasn't intentional. I've just been really busy with the new job and some house projects. I've also been enjoying our relatively mild summer, drinking in the early morning fogs and the bright sunny days. Here are two pics I took of the marsh one recent morning:

9:03 am


9:24 am

The biggest changes have involved our home office situations. Kat's office is now in the crazy uncle house, and mine is now upstairs in what used to be her office. If you remember the crazy uncle house, which was once a chicken coop then was converted (by previous owners) into a two-room "cottage" (imagine putting up drywall in a barn, adding some plywood for subfloor, then covering that subfloor with linoleum from circa 1963). We'd worked on beautifying the outside, and now we've started on the inside. Here's a Before:

That's Em's friend Sarah, wondering what the hell we're thinking, converting this glorious space (painting by Em, stamp-painting by Em and Sarah) into a staid old office. I would show you the After but it's still in progress. I'll only say that you will not believe it! Give me another week or so; Kat and I are working as fast as we can!

This afternoon I looked at the garden and thought, "they've got to see this jungle!" So here are some photos of what the veggie garden looks like now. I won't bore you with the usual pics of little green peppers or yellow baby squash; instead, I'll show you how a little neglect can--er--pile up:

The morning glories and moonflowers, which we planted in the hopes that they'd act as a fence cover, have completely taken over! I don't even know if you can open the gate anymore; it was pretty tough last week, and I've watered since then, so I'm guessing I might need a machete.


A lettuce tree, about four feet tall.

The giant sunflowers. I'm taking this from my eye level; I'm about 5'1". Giant is right!

Somewhere up there in the upper atmosphere, I believe we're getting some flowers! I could hire out a helicopter and do a flyover to make sure, or I could just use the zoom:

I think Em is afraid to even go out there. I saw a zucchini the size of a man's leg out there earlier.

Meanwhile, the tomatoes are doing well, though I'm anxious to eat some of the other varieties besides 'Early Cascade' and the 'Sweet Million' cherry toms. The 'Cascade' are rather small, though they do indeed grow in cascading bunches; their flavor is decent, but I wouldn't choose them again. The 'Beefsteak' and 'First Lady' have a lot of medium to large green fruits on them, and those are the ones I'm dying to sink my teeth into. If I had to live with only one veggie for the rest of my life, I'm sure I'd pick tomatoes--right off the vine.

Photo contest! Can anyone guess what plant this is?
Your hint is that I planted it last year; it's a leftover now. The prize will be the satisfaction of knowing you guessed right.

Birding-wise, not much has happened lately other than the usual yardbirds and stuff. Now that the atlas safe dates are mostly past, Roana and I aren't going birding anymore, and I've been working so hard on the house that I've just been too tired to go out in the evenings, much less super-early on the weekends. Still, I've enjoyed seeing the babies growing up around here, testing their wings and their independence. I'm now starting to anticipate the fall migration and winter's bounty of feeder birds, though I'll admit I'm not quite ready to shovel snow yet....

I had a mama robin who had laid an egg in what might've been a second brood, but the egg--and Mama--disappeared. I hate it when that happens. She had woven some rather long cord into her nest; I'd chopped some smaller pieces for her, but she took the small ones and the long ones:


I began to suspect that her egg had been taken, though, when she didn't come back for a couple of days. Sure enough:


Such a nice sturdy nest, and nothing to show for it. It's not like robins are endangered or anything, but I felt sad for Mama Robin. You know I don't deal well with that whole "circle of life" thing.

6 comments:

Mary said...

Glad you're back!

Your garden is monstrous! I'm only 5-1, too. I think I'd feel threatened, trapped and lost out there, especially if I tripped over a zucchini the size of a man's leg! LOL!

I can't wait to see what you do with that colorful room. I know what you mean about dealing with the circle of life. I don't handle it well, either.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Your garden looks so lush! Green is such a soothing color to me. Is that really a lettuce tower? I don't handle circle of life stuff very either. I found a young robin drowned in my little pond last week, my son kindly came and buried it for me. I was a wreck.

dguzman said...

Yup, it's really lettuce, though I can't remember the variety. I'll have to get more pics of the out-of-control veggies!

Susan Gets Native said...

Good grief, girl. Your garden is going to take over the world.
I made the mistake of letting my lettuce grow big last year, not knowing that the older it is, the grosser it tastes.
So, we get to meet you at the old Cape??? Cool!

dguzman said...

Yup, it's out of control. Planning to go in there with Dr. Livinstone, I presume, this weekend and hack it back down, replant some new lettuce (you're right--it's bitter as hell), etc. You'd never know we've had so little rain!

I'm planning on being at the Cape. Looking soooo forward to it!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

You're coming to Cape May in October?!? Yay!!! You've joined the "Flock"!