Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Raptorful morning

My drive to work is rather long each day because I have to first go from East Jahbib where we live, to downtown State College, then back up to Bellefonte. Some of the drive is two-way two-lane, but a lot of it is divided highway. Every morning along these roads I can expect to see at least two or three kinds of raptors. Today, however, was a truly raptorful morning! I saw

American Kestrel
Golden Eagle (HUGE!)
Red-tailed Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Northern Harrier
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk

What a great day! But don't tell Kat, because she hates it when I bird while driving down the highway at about 70mph! Still, I wanted to get a photo of at least one of these guys, so I tried to pull over a couple of times but each time I spooked the bird with my 70-to-zero, slam on the brakes and pull over past that loud-ass rumble-strip on the side of the highway. Dangit! I would've had an amazing shot of the red-shouldered; he was in almost the same spot as the one I saw a couple of days ago--same bird, maybe?

Still--I'm so glad I attended that raptor ID workshop and that I spent so much time around raptor expert Susan Gets Native in Cape May. Otherwise, I would've missed most of these! The Golden Eagle was especially striking, sitting at the very tip-top of a tall snag near the highway. He was enormous. I read that they migrate through here, and just this morning I saw a posting on the listserv that someone had seen a golden near downtown. Perhaps this was the same bird?

I also saw a big flock of ducks (couldn't tell what kind) overhead. I sure do love ducks and geese. And raptors.

8 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

I'm sooo jealous about that Golden. Sigh.... one of these days.

I bird while driving all the time - in fact, bought a car with a sunroof for just that reason!

Earl Cootie said...

Oh, I love golden eagles. We almost never see them, and only once was one close enough to observe. Great day! I envy you.

Susan Gets Native said...

*Someone in Ohio is jumping up and down for you!*
A golden? Really?????? That would be a lifer for me.
Seven raptor species in one day, much less one drive...rock on, D!

dguzman said...

Laura, I've taken many a photo from my car by opening up the roof and standing up with my head and upper body outside the car!

Earl, I only wish I'd been able to stop for each one and really enjoy and observe and get pics. Next time.

Susan--thanks! Like I said, being around you helped me tell a sharpie from a mourning dove, a Cooper's from a RT, and the No. Harrier from all of them. This one I saw was a typical "gray ghost" underneath, so when he flew over the car I knew immediately - plus I saw his owly face.

This morning -- ZERO raptors. But it's raining.

Fran said...

How cool is that. I love that you do this.

And I say East Jabib also, using the latin spelling. LOL!

Mary said...

Wow!!!! But I must tell you that pulling over on the highway is dangerous. Take it from me, I KNOW!

And almost every day on my way home from work there's a red tail perched on a dead tree next to the road. There is always traffic behind me and I'd need to park in a ditch. I'm still considering a pull-over...

dguzman said...

Fran, I wasn't sure on the preferred spelling--next time, I'll go with the Latin "Jabib" meaning, "way the feck out there."

Mary--don't I know it! Luckily, there's not much traffic in this area (unless there's a Penn State home game). You watch yourself out there, now!

Susan said...

A GOLDEN EAGLE!!!! WOW!