Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Around the backyard and inside

Some pics I took on Saturday, to show you the status of spring in Central PA.
First, a bad picture of the little daffodils!
The plants are only about five inches tall, but we already have some little blooms. That's a hopeful sign!

The state of the garden--de-weeded for the most part, and getting ready for some mulch and some seeds:
Looks pretty barren now, but just wait! Soon I'll be able to plant lettuce, spinach, cilantro, and squash! And Kat will probably plant some new flowers and stuff in that front area that isn't fenced in. I'll have to wait on the tomatoes, green beans, and green peppers--need much more warmth than we're having now.

Winter's still holding on, providing plenty of cotton-batting skies for me to admire:

But the lilac tree is budding!

That totally pumps me up. This lilac bush (about ten feet tall) perfumes the entire backyard when it's in bloom.

Remember my little mushroom? It still looks the same:

Really nothing at all like a morel. I wonder what it is.

Finally, a picture of Miss Kitty Claws, taking a nap. She always looks so sweet when she's not biting and hissing:


Sorry, but Niblet's been a little shy of late, hanging out in his Magic Bunny Dreams house, so I haven't been able to post any Friday Night Nibbles.

12 comments:

Earl Cootie said...

It looks like spring here, sure enough, but the thermometer is telling me otherwise. And impressive garden prep work. I usually manage to get around to that by May or June.

Fran said...

Spring - it is so loaded with hope that I just love it!!!

Susan Gets Native said...

Remember what I called that mushroom?
I bet Matthew does.

RG said...

Your spring views look like ours!! And your plans and hopes are like ours too!

Maybe that is a frozen Morel!!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh Lilacs! I miss lilacs!

Dr. Zaius said...

Happiness is a warm kitty.

KGMom said...

Delia--the cold is hanging on long, isn't it. I too have some spring flowers blooming, enough to hearten me.
Oh, your Miss Kitty Claws looks very much like my older cat who always rolls over on his back to sleep, and looks adorable.

dguzman said...

Earl--by May or June, I'm hoping to be eating salads! We have a pretty short growing season here, so I gotta get a jump on it to extend it as far as possible!

Fran--so true.

Susan--tee hee, yes I'm sure he does!

Rabbits' Guy--I hope you'll keep us posted on the status of your gardens!

DCup--I can't wait to smell them.

Dr Z--so true. I love to slip my feet under Clawsie during the night to warm my toes!

KGMom--I wish the cold would stop! It's in the 50s today, no sun (again). I just want some warm sun!

Mary said...

Yep. Daffodils (or Jonquils?) It's spring in PA. We're all looking at our gardens with our hands on our hips, waiting to get started. It's time, Delia!

Cute, sleeping, kitty...

We want Nibblet.

Unknown said...

I miss the lilacs, too. On the other hand we have a million flowering trees down here.

I planted potatoes and corn today.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Our daffodils have come in and gone already. Nothing like spring in east TN.

Joe said...

I love looking at other people's gardening pictures. It looks like, maybe, you're just a little ahead of us this spring. Our bulbs are just starting to poke through.