Monday, April 28, 2008

For Lynne


For our bloggy Flock pal Lynne, who's suffered some very hard losses lately. Many people don't know much about poet John Donne, whose verse is often quoted. He was always a man of faith, having been educated by Jesuits as a child. He wrote secular poetry for the first part of his career, but he later entered the ministry and spent the rest of life writing religious works.

This is one of his best, and I dedicate it--especially the last two lines--to you, Lynne.

"Death Be Not Proud" by John Donne (1572-1631)

Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,
Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,
Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.
Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,
And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,
And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then;
One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.

7 comments:

Fran said...

That is a beautiful poem. I left Lynne a note.

You are a friend with a kind and generous heart Delia.

Peace to you always.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Dear Delia,
I am so moved at what you posted for me. Your loving and open heart are remarkable. I'll meet you one day, my fine bloggy friend, and I will squash you in a fierce hug. Until then I can only say thank you. Thank you.

NCmountainwoman said...

Thank you for reminding us of the remarkable John Donne, a man who lost his father and three sisters before he was 10. The poem is a favorite of mine and such a moving post for Lynne.

Unknown said...

My liberal arts education did not fail me on this one. Great to see great poetry.

Mary said...

This is very moving, Delia. I'm thanking you for Lynne, too. She's been through a lot since October - more than most can handle. You're a dear heart.

dguzman said...

Fran--*blush* Thank you for leaving Lynne a note, and for being so sweet.

Lynne--I'm glad you liked it. I look forward to being squashed by your hug some day soon! Take care, friend.

NCMtnWoman--Ah, another Donne fan. He was awesome. P.S.-when are you getting your own blog?

Mathman--sweet!

Mary--thank you. Who could turn away from a friend in need, when words of comfort mean so much?

Susan Gets Native said...

I think there are many, many bloggers out there who would like to squash Lynne with some fierce hugs. A hogpile of hugs.
And you deserve a good hug or two, Delia.