I took Nibble in to see a bunny doctor on Friday, and apparently abcesses are "a bunny thing" and they're usually removed by surgery. However, Niblet's abcess is very close to his missing ear, and the doctor is worried that the infection originates in his inner ear. Thus he's advising that the surgery be done by a specialist at Cornell or Penn. This would mean a couple thousand dollars, and so it's pretty much out of the question.
For now, we're going to see what happens to the abcess over the next three weeks. He didn't give me any antibiotics or anything, saying they wouldn't help. I think I liked it better when I thought it was just a matter of lancing and draining.
If anyone out there has any experience with this kind of thing, I'd appreciate any information you can give me.
Obviously, this is going to run into some vet bills, and I've decided that I don't have the financial means to go to the New River birding festival with the Flock in April. I'm pretty bummed about this, but I think it's probably best to keep whatever pennies I have in case I need them for the little Son Moon and Stars.
Meanwhile, I already asked off for those days in April, so I think I will probably end up just going camping around here somewhere, maybe with Gretchen, and birding. We've got some migration paths in this area, and I'm hopeful that I'll still get a lot of birds. I figure it's the low-cost option.