Monday, February 15, 2010

A hike in Government Canyon

My big sister Raquel, her daughter Lilia (my junior birder), and I went to Government Canyon State Natural Area west of San Antonio. We didn't see too many birds, but we did see some interesting things:
a beautiful flower I'd never seen before, Phlox drummondii (identified thanks to this site)

a little daisy-like flower I couldn't find in the purple or white flower listings but which came in both purple and white varieties

a flower I couldn't find in the white flower listings but which looks like lantana

a poor little barrel cactus who chose a rough life by growing right on the hiking path

a Red Admiral

the bone-dry creek bed -- surprising, given all the rain we've had lately

dinosaur footprint, or dinosaur rude hand gesture? You decide.

Probably the coolest thing that happened all day was when I suggested to Lil that maybe we should pish to attract some birds. She began pishing softly, and wouldn't you know, a little House Wren, an Orange-crowned Warbler, and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet all showed up? I was so proud of her budding abilities as a birder!

7 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Jesus must hate you all, he put that 'foot print' that's flipping you all off out there didn't he.

Felicia said...

Sounds like a fun walk--it's interesting how sometimes when you're hiking, the best stuff is literally at your feet!

Anonymous said...

Rather nice place you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Best wishes

Carol said...

Sometimes you notice something you would have overlooked had the birds been there.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Earl Cootie said...

That lantanaesque flower looks like some kind of saxifrage, but I know nothing of wildflowers so could be way off base.

And if I ever make it down to Houston to visit my parents, I'm going to have to take a sidetrip over to your neck of the woods, so, at the very least, you can teach me to pish.

dguzman said...

Dr. Monkey--you think so?

Felicia--I do love wildflowers!

Anon--uh-huh.

Carol--Indeed!

Earl--well, now you'll have to swing up east; I'm going back to PA next week!

Larry said...

I like the butterfly.Sounds like some serious pishing skills taking place.Usually the only birds I attract are chickadees and Song Sparrows.-