Sunday, August 08, 2010

Migration signs continue

AB and I went out to the Julian Wetlands this evening, and the most notable thing was the absence of Red-winged Blackbirds. Have they already started their trip south? I have to think so because they're always very vocal, but we didn't hear any of them.

We saw some good birds, if not a great variety:
Wood Duck 2
Mallard 2
Great Blue Heron 3
Green Heron 1
Killdeer 10
Lesser Yellowlegs 3
Eastern Kingbird 3
Barn Swallow X
Gray Catbird 1
European Starling X
Song Sparrow 2
American Goldfinch X
This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)

AB got in some good practice with her new bins, focusing on the yellowlegs across the marsh and some Bullfrogs right up close to us:


I was pretty slow on the camera shutter today, focusing instead on IDing birds for AB and making sure she saw everything. The sky was breathtaking:


It was a lovely evening with my gal, watching birds.

3 comments:

John B. said...

The third photo is lovely.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I like #3 too. It made me sigh.
I've sure notice the blackbirds flocking up here too. Having four such distinct seasons here I am always ready for a change near the end of each one. Bring on fall!

Miss you-

dguzman said...

John--it was a beautiful sight.

Lynne--glad you liked it. That's why I kept it big. And yes, I love having four seasons! Though I sure have hated this hot hot summer.