Sunday, August 08, 2010

Migration signs continue

AB and I went out to the Julian Wetlands this evening, and the most notable thing was the absence of Red-winged Blackbirds. Have they already started their trip south? I have to think so because they're always very vocal, but we didn't hear any of them.

We saw some good birds, if not a great variety:
Wood Duck 2
Mallard 2
Great Blue Heron 3
Green Heron 1
Killdeer 10
Lesser Yellowlegs 3
Eastern Kingbird 3
Barn Swallow X
Gray Catbird 1
European Starling X
Song Sparrow 2
American Goldfinch X
This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(

AB got in some good practice with her new bins, focusing on the yellowlegs across the marsh and some Bullfrogs right up close to us:

I was pretty slow on the camera shutter today, focusing instead on IDing birds for AB and making sure she saw everything. The sky was breathtaking:

It was a lovely evening with my gal, watching birds.


John said...

The third photo is lovely.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I like #3 too. It made me sigh.
I've sure notice the blackbirds flocking up here too. Having four such distinct seasons here I am always ready for a change near the end of each one. Bring on fall!

Miss you-

dguzman said...

John--it was a beautiful sight.

Lynne--glad you liked it. That's why I kept it big. And yes, I love having four seasons! Though I sure have hated this hot hot summer.