Sunday, August 01, 2010

Non-birds at Julian Wetlands--with IDs

I have been seeing so many dragonflies, damselflies, and butterflies this year, and I managed to get some decent photos the other day though the sun was rather harsh and bright:
I believe this is a Ruby Meadowhawk, based on the black markings on the sides of his abdomen, the yellow face (face?), and his overall color.

This sky-blue fellow
appears to be a Great Blue Skimmer, Libellula vibrans, but his markings are not very vibrans. Ah, John says it's an Eastern Pondhawk -- that looks much more accurate. Check comments for his link.

This damselfly, a spreadwing of some sort, was very camera-friendly, as was this little butterfly:

I can't for the life of me remember what this is called -- I think it has something to do with the white spot on his wing... help! Ah--John to the rescue again -- Silver-spotted Skipper -- I knew it was something about the spot!

I think that the blue dragonfly may be an Eastern Pondhawk.

Look at this pretty little gem:
I'm guessing Silvery Checkerspot, Chlosyne nycteis, but John says Pearl Crescent. Okay, okay -- I need to get a guide!

This beautiful Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Papilio glaucus, came within inches of my camera lens:
I saw that the female of that butterfly is black, but then so are Pipevine Swallowtails. So what is this black one?

The markings on her abdomen are different from the male Eastern Tiger Swallowtail's; the spots are like a Black Swallowtail. But the wing markings don't really match any of the black swallowtails like Pipevine, Spicebush, etc. So what is it? John says Spicebush. It's tough in this individual, as his wings are somewhat worn. I couldn't get any more pictures of him either, as he was not stopping for more than a second or two, never giving me enough time to get more than this one shot.

5 comments:

John B. said...

Butterfly #1: Silver-spotted Skipper
Butterfly #2: Pearl Crescent
Butterfly #4: Spicebush Swallowtail – the hindwing pattern is the key to distinguishing the dark swallowtails.

I think that the blue dragonfly may be an Eastern Pondhawk.

dguzman said...

John, if it weren't for you and your brain, I'd be lost. I'll update!

Abu Scooter said...

I haven't a clue about birds or insects, but these pictures are beautiful! Thanks for posting them.

RG said...

Well, we are all learning new stuff!

Elizabeth said...

The damselflies are my favorite so far. They look like little metal pieces soldered together.