Monday, July 14, 2008

Still having the dumb, needing your help

I got a bunch of great responses to my random question about who your favorite singer is. So many choices!

So--let's narrow it down a bit. First off--my top three choices, from my list of (counting)13 singers: Barbra Streisand, Alison Krauss, Joni Mitchell. In that order. Ella Fitzgerald made the list, along with people like Sinead O'Connor, Chrissie Hynde, Shelby Lynne, Tricia Yearwood, Rosemary Clooney, and Karen Carpenter.

Now--your replies, with vote tallies:

WOMEN with 2 votes:
Ella Fitzgerald
Joan Baez
Barbara Streisand
Celine Dion

WOMEN with 1 vote:
Maria Callas
Eva Cassidy
Etta James
Grace Slick
Judy Collins
Emmy Lou Harris
k d lang
Billie Holliday
Christina Aguilera

Not a bad list at all. Good work, people! Now for the gents, none of which received more than one vote:
Josh Groban
Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
Waylon Jennings
Ray Charles
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Nusrat Fata Ali Khan
George Michael
Barry White
Luther Vandross
Johnny Cash
Ray LaMontagne
Justin Nozuka
Michael Buble
Jack Johnson
Jason Mraz
John Denver

Not a bad lineup there, with some really distinctive voices and great song stylists.

SO--I'm going to do a poll! I'll put it in the sidebar for a month. For the women, I'll do the top four vote-getters. Then everyone can just vote and we'll see which singer tops the pops!

Now for the men, I'll need some help--as no one got more than one vote, and I didn't have any male singers on my list so my vote doesn't count, I'll ask everyone to vote for their top male singer from the list above. Go to it, people! When I get four top vote-getters, I'll do a male singer poll too. Until then, it's LADIES' NIGHT! Oh yes the music's right, oh yes it's ladies' night, oh what a night! (oh what a night)

6 comments:

dguzman said...

Okay--the poll is up in the sidebar. I'm casting my ballot and feeling all patriotic for democracy!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Hey, thanks for picking up our meme. I think our fridge is a bit gross, somehow I dream of much cleaner better organized one with matching glass containers.......Spots rule, ears or not.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Josh Groban
Josh Groban
Josh Groban
Van Morrison

KGMom said...

Oh fun.
So, if I visit your blog every day--heck two times every day, can I vote and vote and vote? Thereby skewing the results?
Or are you sneakier than that?

NCmountainwoman said...

I know it's too late for this; but how in the world do we have a list of great male vocalists and it doesn't include FRANK SINATRA???

RG said...

RAy Charles ... now off to the sidebar ...