Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Birdday, Mary!

My sister Mary turns 43 today, so I thought I'd embarrass her by publishing this photo again:

That's her on the right, pointing to her dolly. This was probably a newly opened Christmas present, I'm guessing.

Mary had a series of dollies as a kid (surprisingly, I was not the dolly type). I'd give anything right now to have a scan of this one photo of all my siblings and me on an Easter day, waaaay back when. Mary and were probably 5 and 6, respectively. In a bunch of photos, Mary had her "naked baby" dolly, whom she held by the head in all the pics taken that day. In this one photo, however, you can see that someone has taken away Naked Baby and Mary's crying her little eyes out, holding out her hands to someone off-camera -- probably my mom.

Actually, Mary cried in almost all her baby and young tot pics -- it's sort-of a family joke. The rest of us were always smiling and laughing, even in the photo that was taken when I had German measles.

Mary, however, was always wailin'. She sings now, a benefit of all that lung exercise, no doubt.

Back to this photo--she had that blue sweater for YEARS. (We were both a size 6X for years too, saving my parents a lot on clothing, I'd bet.) I remember borrowing the blue sweater one day because I had to go outside to feet the kitty. I tipped the box of dry catfood to pour some out, and a little baby roach crawled out of the box and up my arm, into the sweater sleeve! I ran around screaming and flailing the box (catfood flying), trying to tear that sweater off. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. *shudder*

Anyway, happy birdday, Mary, aka Hairy Mary, aka Wolf Hand, aka Mareeeeeeeeeeeeeea!

12 comments:

KGMom said...

Isn't blogging great--you can tell all these sibling tales.
Love the pic of you and Mary. I love your bright eyes.
You didn't like dolls? I bet if they had a toy bird you would have liked that.
Oh, and Happy Birthday, Mary.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Good grief- what a couple of cute kids! Look at the curls on your head!

Happy Birthday Mary-sib-of-Delia!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Happy birthday to Mary from all of us!

Matthew Hubbard said...

Happy birthday to the big sis.

Susan Gets Native said...

Oh, God. I don't know where to begin....
The GROOVY couch...
The cute little finger pointing at the doll...
The sweet innocence in Delia's face.
Man. I can die happy now.

Happy birthday, Mary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Mary!

(Resident Evil is the crier around here, though she doesn't have a naked baby doll.)

Mary said...

Sounds like you and Mary had a fun-filled childhood! Partners in crime, perhaps?

Happy Birdday, Mary!

Odile said...

Hia, I´m your Sectret Santa... I used to open my gifts late this night, and according to that tradition I give your´s almost midnight.
You can check it here:
http://odile-laslargasnoches.blogspot.com/

Dr. Zaius said...

Merry Christmas, Dguzman!

Mel said...

That's a cute picture! Happy belated birthday Mary!!!!!

And now, an off topic comment... ¡¡¡FELIZ NAVIDAD!!!
Merry Christmas!!
Hugs from Peru,
Mel

lusia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dguzman said...

Thanks for the good wishes, pals!