Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Almost there; desert daze

Again I'm going to post a lot of pics with a minimum of text; it's just easier to show you what I've seen rather than describe, or I'd just use "beautiful" and "breath-taking" about fifty million times. Suffice it to say that today I was moved to tears by the beauty around me as we drove out of Wyoming, across Utah, and into Nevada. Wyoming was really beautiful, but Utah and Nevada have been downright amazing. The photos were almost all taken at speed, windows up and AC on, by Matty, as we traveled along I-80. I wish I had more pics, especially in Medicine Bow National Forest in Wyoming. One day, AB and I are gonna go camping there. It's incredible.

Some last photos in Wyoming:





Utah, where everything turned red:




The Great Salt Lake:We saw two birders setting up at a scenic view of the lake, Swarovski binocs and spotting scope out, ready to check out some birds. Sadly, we are on a mission, so any birding I've done is pretty much done at about 80 mph. We stopped for a while in Iowa (that red-headed bird from the previous post) and in Colorado (the Lark Bunting), but otherwise I'm driving and watching the road. Matty's a city boy with no driver's license, so I can't really take my eyes off the road too often. (ha ha)

The Bonneville Salt Flats, where many land speed records were set:

Pilot's Peak, an amazingly tall mountain that greets you soon after you enter Nevada:
All these mountains made me think of GKL, expert mountain climber, and how much I'd love to learn to climb. Some of these peaks don't look THAT hard--of course, my fat-clogged little heart might beg to differ.

7 comments:

Matthew Hubbard said...

Beautiful pictures, dg. I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Wow. Great shots.

RG said...

Yep .. dandy. It's a BIG country.

Dawn Fine said...

Hey..great cross country trip..my husband and I are headed that direction soon. Will head all the way to oregon then south and east again.
I agree Utah and nevada..stunning...the rock formations are amazing!
Happy trails!

RG said...

"Open up those Golden Gates ... tra la la ..."

dguzman said...

Me too, Matty Boy!

Monkey--thanks--not bad for full-speed photography.

Rabbits' Guy--I really had no idea it was so beautiful out here.

Dawn--yes indeed. Just when you think you've seen the most beautiful thing, something ELSE even MORE beautiful comes along. Amazing.

Unknown said...

fantastic and awesome collection of photos....



___________________
DyanaDevis
Instant loans at an attractive low rates