Saturday, October 27, 2007

A quick hello from Cape May

We're sitting in the darkened corner of a bar called Cabana's, with a live band playing and a huge crowd jamming to the band and the PSU Nittany Lions losing to the OSU Buckeyes, and WE ARE BLOGGING. This WIFI business blows my mind!


The hotel's WIFI connection is rather lame; you have to sit in a breezeway just to get a signal, so we came out to this bar to get free wireless Internet access. Laura H of Somewhere in NJ was kind enough to let me blog on her laptop, so I'll do a quick hello from Cabana's in Cape May!


What a great two days of birding--sopping wet, trudging around in the mud, tired, cold, but 19 lifers later !!! I'm still incredibly happy! This has been a weekend for the ages, one I'll remember for the rest of my life. I've met some incredible people--Laura, Susan Gets Native, Susan from Lake Life, Sharon the Birdchick, Amy of Wildbird on the Fly, Mike from 10,000 Birds, and a bunch of other people. Laura and the two Susans and I have been quite the birding foursome, getting lifers left and right, learning about each other and ourselves in other people's eyes, and just having a great time. Quick impressions?


1. Susan Gets Native runs red lights but won't cross against the light when walking; she looks like a former beauty queen and is hilariously fun.

2. Laura H is just as beautiful and poetic in person as she is on her blog, and her sense of humor lights a room.

3. Susan of Lake Life is a grounded and earthy person, always on schedule and always ready to go to the next event and find another bird.


I'll leave you with this shot of us at the shore of the Atlantic Ocean on our first and only sunny day so far:

I'll post again from home. In the meantime, I hope everyone else in the world is having as great a weekend as I am.

5 comments:

Fran said...

Oh how great! I am so glad to hear this. So many birds, so little time.

I was speaking to a friend who lives near there and called her to ask about the weather... As I was concerned about you! Since she does not get the whole "bloggin' thang" (its a blogger thing, you wouldn't understand... maybe I have a future in novelty t-shirts?)she was all "what? who? huh?".

And, I have been to Cabana's I believe. And I have been on that beach, many times, usually on off-season days, with a cool or cold wind blowing. I adore it.

Thanks for the update!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Have fun, you deserve it.

Susan Gets Native said...

Did you have to choose the picture where I look like I am 11 months pregnant?
Just so everyone knows, that is a big field guide in my front pocket.

Anonymous said...

looks like a great time and would have loved to meet everyone! It was great everyone shared their computer with ya!

dguzman said...

Thanks, Fran, Dr. Monkey, and Mon@arch--you shoulda been there! At the least, you could've seen Susan give birth to that bouncing baby field guide.