Monday, June 26, 2006

My somewhat lame life list so far

Okay--meeting one of my birdy wishes today and listing the birds I've documented on my life list. I have an original Peterson's birding guide first published in 1934, and it's got a life list in the front--very handy. I'm listing even the more common birds here (robins, etc.) just for grins. And I'm only counting the birds I've actually been able to identify with certainty. The millions of seagulls I saw in my childhood trips to the beach, etc. will have to wait until I take my binocs and my birding books with me back to the beach. All these birds were seen in Central PA unless otherwise noted. Many were just seen on my first real birding expedition with some real birders--Alice and Roana Fuller, Dorothy Bordner, and another woman Nan from their birding club.

Great blue heron
Snowy egret (South Carolina)
American bittern
Canada goose
Mallard
Sharp-shinned hawk
Red-tailed hawk
Red-shouldered hawk
Sora
Rock dove
Mourning dove
Road runner (Texas)
Screech owl (Texas)
Horned owl (Texas)
Nighthawk (Texas)
Ruby-throated hummingbird (Texas)
Barn swallow
Bluejay (Texas)
American crow
Black-capped chickadee
Tufted titmouse
Mockingbird (Texas)
Catbird
Brown Thrasher
Robin (Texas)
Eastern bluebird
Cedar Waxwing
Starling (Texas)
Prairie warbler
House sparrow
Eastern meadowlark
Red-winged blackbird
Baltimore oriole
Purple grackle
Cowbird
Cardinal
Rose-breasted grosbeak
Indigo bunting
Purple finch (or what Audubon calls "house finch")
American goldfinch
Dark-eyed junco
Chipping sparrow
Swamp sparrow
Song sparrow

A little lame, but I'm working on it.

No comments: