Friday, July 07, 2006

Birdchick's going to Harlingen!

http://www.birdchick.com/2006/07/my-week-is-so-off-kilter.html

So the Birdchick will be in my hometown of Harlingen for the Rio Grande Valley Birding Fest. Sure do wish I could go. Then I could see my parents and see what my little hometown is doing to encourage birding. Note: Still feeling ripped off by Harlingen for not having this event when I was a kid.

Sometimes I miss Texas so much. I absolutely love living in Pennsylvania, but Texas is my home, and every once in a while, I hear it calling to me. I'll probably never move back (for various reasons) but my heart will always burst with Texas pride.

They're holding a big expo in the Municipal Auditorium at Fair Park. I still remember going to that auditorium for school talent shows and plays. It had a neat smell (it was new back then in the 70s) that I really liked. (ah, the wonderful smell of harmful VOCs!) Good old Harlingen. Good old Texas.

Do they build trucks that are "Rhode Island tough"? Nope. Do they name steakhouses "Beehive State Roadhouse"? Nope. Did Pee Wee Herman need to go to an old mission in Oregon to find his bike in the basement? Nope. Where is "America's Team" from--New York? NEVER! The Lone Star State will always hold a certain mystique in the minds of people all over the world, and I kinda like that. Yup, it's nice to be a Native Texan, even if I'll never live there again.

- - - -
Saw a big brown thrasher this morning, flying with a worm in its mouth, probably going to feed its brood. Nice. It's a cool summer morning in beautiful Central Pennsylvania, and I wish I were birding.

No comments: