Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Bald eagle morning, voter anxiety day

I had a great experience first thing this morning--I saw the bald eagle again! This time he was flying over the house and the marsh. I grabbed my binoculars and watched him light on a tree across the march. This is one huge bird. Some starlings fluttered around in the air near the tree, looking like maple leaves in a whirlwind, and the eagle turned his huge head and watched them for a while. He flapped his wings a bit, breaking off little twigs around him. It was a great moment.

Then the bad thing: voting. Now, I am an ardent voter--I believe deeply in the importance of voting. It used to be that voting was a real pleasure for me; I was proud to live in a democracy, the only one like it in the world. Now--after stolen elections, hacked voting machines, e-voting controversies and continued failures, etc.--voting day has become a very anxiety-filled experience. You can see my entry on my other blog if you'd like the whole tense story.

I just have to hold the picture of that eagle in my mind. And pop some more Tums. I'll make it through.

No comments: