Thursday, April 26, 2007

Squirrel nest-building!

Kat and I were walking onto campus this afternoon and I saw a brownish-colored squirrel, rummaging around in a nest-like bunch of twigs about 20 feet from the ground, in a birch tree. I thought at first that he might be preying on the eggs of some bird; however, I quickly realized he (or she?) was building a nest!

I wish I could tell you I have some great photos or even video, but I had nothing with me to capture this magical moment! My description will have to suffice. Sorry!

The squirrel would hop from thick trunk to trunk, looking for twigs. He then nibbled the twigs off, usually to a length of 10-15 inches (from what I could judge from the ground). Then he would secure the twig in his mouth, hop back over to the nest in the crook of a large branch, and weave the twig into place. I watched for about ten minutes as he did this, twig after twig. I tried to remain hidden, but it's possible that he saw me and was spooked; he hopped his way over to an adjoining oak, then disappeared.

I never knew that squirrels even built nests, much less nests in trees. But now I've seen one in construction. I just wish I'd had my camera. He was really cute.

4 comments:

KGMom said...

Oh yes squirrels build nests. I watched one this spring run past my sun porch about 6 times. Each time with a mouthful of leaves.
You can see squirrel nests high in trees--a mass of dark leaves. We have many such nests around our neighborhood--and as a result many squirrels.

Susan Gets Native said...

Busy little guys!
Squirrels will mate in December, and again in June, so this one must be getting started early, to snap up the prime real estate.
Drays are easy to find, at least in the winter. They look like big balls of leaves.
I know some people hate squirrels because they are such pigs at bird feeders, but I like ours. They don't eat too much, and it gives the dog something to chase.

dguzman said...

I guess they put the leaves on top of the base of twigs? He was all about the twigs. It was so cute how he'd nibble them off, then carry them back. Thanks for the squirrel info!

We don't have squirrels out on the marsh--I guess it's too open out there. So I don't worry about them cleaning out the feeder--besides, the RW blackbirds and grackles take care of that!

Mary said...

I knew they nested but I have never seen them work at it. Cool. Didn't need your camera, Delia, you description was great.

I agree with Susan, I don't mind the squirrels, either. It's entertainment for my dogs. They never caught one and never will, they they don't know it :o)