Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2008's first bird


First bird for the year: Black-capped Chickadee, super early in the morning on 01/01/2008. They were a bit upset at the empty feeders; I had warned them we were going to Ohio to see my baby sister and her two babies, and that the feeders were going to be empty for a couple of days, but these guys insisted they didn't get the memo. I filled up the feeders, put out a bunch of mealy worms from Susan's nephew's mail-order worm business (more on that later), scattered a lot of seed on the ground, and went back to bed.

3 comments:

pissed off patricia said...

It was windy and chilly here this morning so the only one who showed up for a seedy breakfast was a beautiful male cardinal. I guess the others were sleeping in.

First bird I saw this year was a blue jay yesterday morning before the cold front came through.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I just came in from trying to fill a few of my feeders but it's -3 degrees and my fingers couldn't do it. Poor birds. I'll try a few more later.
My first birds this year were crows scoping out the back yard on their way from their communal roost to their feeding territories. I often toss stale bread or old friut and veggies in the yard for birds and squirrels and those crows know it!

Mary said...

My first view was directly to the peanut feeder yesterday morning where I saw the first white-breasted nuthatch visitor to my yard. So cool! I would have normally seen a few mourning doves or juncoes.

Susan's mealworms are the best buy and the birds love them.

Glad you took good care of your poor, starving birds, Delia.