Friday, June 01, 2007

Mystery bird still a mystery

Near Coburn, PA: A bird photographed by a local birder remains a mystery, though the quest for a second sighting continues.

"The bird was sitting right over my head, so I didn't get much of a look at his sides or his head," said beginning birder and amateur nature photographer Delia Guzman. She first saw the bird Wednesday night on Long Lane and managed to snap four photos of him.

"Of course, the photo in which he looked down at me came out blurry. Otherwise, I got just his underparts. I don't know," she said, "maybe it was just a phoebe making a weird noise like a kingbird."

Guzman has tried two evenings in a row to find the bird again but has been unsuccessful. She will try again, she says, "maybe at some ridiculous pro-birding hour like 6:30 a.m. or something."

The bird could not be reached for comment.

2 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

Bwaaahaahaa!

You had me going there!

I think some of the better field guides show underparts and tails of birds to aid in ID.

dguzman said...

hee hee! I'm not a journalist, but I've played one on TV....

Well, this guy's got me and a few other birders here stumped. I've just got to find him and get him to pose for me!