Tuesday, April 07, 2009

No peents, but some other birds

Well, despite our efforts to find some woodcocks on Saturday, we didn't even hear a single peent. It was windy and cold, which might've had something to do with it. Still, we saw
Eastern Phoebe (FOY)
Eastern Bluebird
Ring-necked Duck
Red-winged Blackbird
American Robin
American Crow
Northern Cardinal
Turkey Vulture
Song Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Tree Swallow (added this later--I forgot we'd seen one--also FOY)

Then it just got too cold so we went home.

Perhaps my adventure that night led to my illness--I think I have a sinus infection now. The cold had still been hanging in there, keeping things snotty, and when I woke up yesterday I felt as though someone had punched me in the face. The soonest I could get in to the doctor's is tomorrow afternoon, reinforcing my opinion that it's easier to see the Queen than it is to see a doctor at my doctor's office. Grrr. Meanwhile, I'm completely plugged up and my face is killing me.

We'll try again next week for woodcocks, assuming I'm well by then.

I also heard an Eastern Phoebe singing across the street from my house, so that's a new yardbird for me. My yardlist is quite pathetic, but here it is:
Eastern Phoebe
Black-capped Chickadee (pair, hollowing out a hole in a tree near my window)
Turkey Vulture
American Crow
Tufted Titmouse
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle
House Sparrow
European Starling
Not exactly like the old Marsh House list, but still--not bad for in the city.

8 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I heard that woodcocks don't like to cha-cha when it's too cold or windy. Sorry you're sick. Spring and summer colds are the worst.

I see the asian spammer got you!

NCmountainwoman said...

Sorry you're not feeling well. Take hot showers and hot Russian tea with rum. And feel better soon.

RG said...

Get better ... those Turkey Vultures in the yard are a baaaaad sign!

lisahgolden said...

I hope you're feeling better, D! I saw a Towhee for the first time yesterday and thought of you!

dguzman said...

Lynne--I guess not, and it was very cold and windy out there. But I think the spot is a good one.

NCMtnWoman--hot Russian tea with rum? Could you make me some, then drive it up here? ;)

Rabbits' Guy--they're flyovers! I'm not THAT sick.

Lisa--cool bird!

Snave said...

Hi DGuzman! Sorry I haven't been here to check out what you have been seeing for a while.

If you come to my site, there are some photos of a birding trip Mrs. Snave and I took to Texas in March. Scroll down a few articles, and you'll see the blogpost. We was green jays, crested caracaras, and all kinds of cool stuff including whooping cranes.

Happy birding!

Mel said...

Hola Delia,
I hope you are feeling better now.
From the birds of your lists, I've only seen the Turkey Vulture (YET)
Send some of those birds this way!!
Take care, good luck with the doc!
Besos,
Mel

Earl Cootie said...

That's a heckuva yard list! We get next to nothing here, although our pickings have been steadily improving over the past few years.