Sunday, May 22, 2011

Finally -- a Black Tern!

There are many sites out here in Central PA where people have seen Black Terns--Julian Wetlands, a place I've birded loads of times, being the most common--yet I'd never seen one until I found my new favorite place to bird, along Tadpole Road in Pennsylvania Furnace.

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me and my cell phone was dying, but I managed to get enough power to snap a quick digiscope pic of the tern as he sat for a bit:That's bird number 306, a real beauty. I watched him for almost a half hour, mesmerized. What a pretty bird.

Also noteworthy: I wouldn't even have seen him without word from the local listserv; most of the time the bird was flying around like he was hawking for insects or something, and he moved so fast I might've missed him had I not seen a digi-video on another's birder's website. Thanks, Drew!

1 comment:

RG said...

The buddy system!